Friday, March 13, 2009

The need to forgive

When I read this, I knew it was something that needed to be shared. Everyone struggles with forgiveness. I think this insert really nails it.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because
God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."
C.S. Lewis

"It has been said that life is an exercise in forgiveness. And it
should be added that forgiveness is an essential step in overcoming tough
times.
Christ understood the importance of forgiveness when he
commanded, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew
5:43-44). But sometimes , forgiveness is difficult indeed.
When we have been injured or embarrassed, we feel the urge to
strike back and to hurt the ones who have hurt us. But Christ instructs us
to do otherwise. Christ teaches us that forgiveness is God's way and that mercy is an integral part of God's plan for our lives. In short, we are commanded to
weave the thread of forgiveness into the very fabric of our lives.
Do you invest more time than you should reliving the
past? Are you troubled by feelings of anger, bitterness, envy, or
regret? Do you harbor ill will against someone whom you simply can't seem
to forgive? If so, it's time to finally get serious about
forgiveness.
When someone hurts you, the act of forgiveness is difficult,
but necessary. Until you forgive, you are trapped
in a prison of your own creation.
But what if you have tried to forgive and simply can't seem to
do so? The solution to your dilemma is this: you simply must make
forgiveness a higher priority in your life.
Most of us don't spend too much time thinking about
forgiveness; we worry, instead about the injustices we have suffered and the
people who inflicted them. God has a better plan: He wants us to live in
the present, not the past, and He knows that in order to do so, we must forgive
those who have harmed us.
Have you made forgiveness a high priority? Have you sincerely asked
God to forgive you for your inability to forgive others? Have you
genuinely prayed that those feeling of anger might be swept from your
heart? If so, congratulations. If not, perhaps it's time to move
past your own particular tough times by freeing yourself from the chains of
bitterness and regret.
Remember that God didn't say forgiveness was optional;
it's a commandment."

I am definitely a person that has been bad with forgiveness. There were times in my life, I realize now, if I could have only forgiven I could have caused so much less grief then needed be.
An expression I have heard again recently is that "you are equal to most but better than some".
Well, I never REALLY thought about that until recently. And when I thought about it, I disagreed. I couldn't figure out the words to tell this person that I am no better than anyone else. But, I don't even look at life like that anymore. It isn't a matter of everyone else and their status, their job, their house, their anything. We all have a judgment day before God and on that day, I want Jesus standing beside me. When that day comes, God isn't going to judge me compared to others. He is going to judge me on MY character, MY loyalty, MY love, MY trust, etc... I am not even supposed to judge myself. I am just supposed to ask God to show me his path, to forgive, to love, to witness, to care for. I think so much judgement is stemmed from the way the "quote, good life" looks like. Every time I catch myself being even the slightest bit judgemental or unforgiving now, I remind myself of what Jesus said on the cross, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)
If we are supposed to be Christ like and He can show that concern for those who harmed Him, I am in no way perfect, but I can do my best with His guidance and prayer to be forgiving and show concern as well.

No comments: